Ashtanga Yoga - The Intermediate Series: Mythology, Anatomy, and Practice
- Author: Gregor Maehle
- Paperback: 210 pages
- Dimensions 10.9 x 8.2 in. (28 x 21 cm)
- Publisher: New World Library (2009)
- ISBN: 978-1-57731-669-5
In this much-anticipated follow-up to his first book, Ashtanga Yoga: Practice and Philosophy, Gregor Maehle offers a detailed and multifaceted guide to Ashtanga Yoga's Intermediate Series. An expert yogi and teacher, Maehle will guide you to your next level with an unprecedented depth of anatomical explanation and unparalleled attention to the practice's philosophical and mythological heritage. You will learn:
- The background and applications of each of the three forms of yoga: Karma, Bhakti, and Jnana
- How to use Indian myth and cosmology to deepen your practice
- The importance of the Sanskrit language to the yogic tradition
- The mythology behind the names of the Intermediate Series postures
- The functions and limitations of body parts integral to the Intermediate Series, including the spine, the sacroiliac joint, the shoulder joint, and the hip joint
- How to reap the full benefits of practicing the Intermediate Series
Maehle meticulously explores all twenty-seven postures of the Intermediate Series through photos, anatomical line drawings, and practical, informative sidebars. He also discusses the philosophical and spiritual background of Ashtanga Yoga and places the practice within the context of Indian cultural history. With passionate erudition, Maehle will prepare you to reap physical, spiritual, and mental fulfillment from your evolving practice.
"Gregor Maehle's Ashtanga Yoga - The Intermediate Series is a treasure chest of practical gems. He weaves together important insights into the anatomy and form of the yoga postures with the contemplative and internal aspects of yoga practice. Tying together philosophy, myth, and subtle practices, he gives the student an ever-deepening experience of the true tradition of yoga."
- Richard Freeman, founder of the Yoga Workshop in Boulder, Colorado
"Gregor Maehle's first book, Ashtanga Yoga: Practice and Philosophy, was a valuable and welcome addition to the available resources on Ashtanga Yoga. His latest book, Ashtanga Yoga - The Intermediate Series, guides us further down the path, leading deeper into the realms of this dynamic system. Gregor's concise and insightful explanations of the practice, theory, philosophy, and anatomical details of Ashtanga Yoga bring to life the beauty and elegance found within the minutiae of the practice. Thank you again, Gregor!"
- David Swenson, author of Ashtanga Yoga: The Practice Manual
"I was pleased to find that once again Gregor Maehle has done an excellent job of presenting the traditional method of Ashtanga Yoga. This book provides a wealth of background information essential for building the context needed to fully benefit from this profound method of yoga--to prepare the soil so the practice bears the intended fruit. Students need to do the work of reading and studying the ancient texts in order to fully appreciate the practice, to have a context in which it can fit. This book helps to fill in many of those blanks. I salute Gregor for his hard work and his studiousness and thank him for helping to maintain the authentic, traditional practice, thus enabling students to have the intended experience of this great form of yoga."
- Chuck Miller, Ashtanga Yoga teacher, senior student of Shri K. Pattabhi Jois since 1980